What web development language should I learn in 2017
June 26, 2017
"I used to develop in PHP/MySQL about 4 years back. I understand that PHP is no longer a good choice. I would like to get back in developing dynamic websites/web apps again. What language/framework do you suggest I should learn which will also be useful in coming years? Thank you."
My answer is below:
If you just want to learn a new language I would recommend to decide what you’ll be doing and start by answering these questions:
- Am I focused on the back end or front end?
- Do I need something really low level for performance or something easier to learn and get things done fast?
- Am I looking for enterprise level language or something I can use to build proof of concepts and small websites?
- Am I planning to do machine learning or build robust APIs?
- Is there a specific industry or company I’m targeting?
Having a focus and very specific goal helps a lot when deciding where to invest your time.
If you prefer something else I recommend learning Go. It’s a low level programming language that supports concurrency and scales really well. It was created by Google and is perfect to build APIs and backends (it’s really fast).
Other languages I can recommend are: